Curriculum management defines information relating to the academic offerings of the university including
- Degree and Programs
- Courses, study areas, units, classes, activities and awards;
- Course details maintenance;
- Unit Details maintenance;
- Study area maintenance and Course Plans.
This module incorporates
- Organizational structure management (enables definition of units e.g. Faculty, Department, etc.); and
- Course management i.e. course and unit development, approval and publication business process;
Organization Structure Management
- Incorporates sophisticated Organizational unit’s functionality enabling user definition of terminology (e.g. Faculty; Department, Division, Section etc.)
- Maintains locations within Organizational units.
- Maintains Organizational unit types e.g. institutions, colleges, departments, centers of excellence, research centers, sponsors, international agencies, external Organizations, benefactors, third party debtors, etc.
- Allows that Users are assigned to Organization units
Course Management sub-module is used to define information relating to the academic offerings of the University including degree, program, courses, study areas (majors, minors etc.), units, classes, their activities (lectures, tutorials etc.) and their awards. This module supports the university’s course and unit development, approval and publication business processes
- Defines and maintains the rules in a manner that can be applied automatically, to this functions within the system:
- Progression (probation/exclusion)
The admission module provides the functions for automating the admission process. The module applies business rules to set into action workflow processes and approvals required to process applications for enrollment into programs offered by the University. The business rules are as defined by the institutions curriculum policies.
- Capture applicants bio-data which include personal details, family details, areas of interest and education background
- Allow applicants to review programs details, curriculum for each program and requirements for admission
- Allow applicants to apply for multiple programs
- Performs screening/validity check according to a set of pre-defined criteria such as pre-requisite requirements to ensure that the applicants are eligible to enroll for program applied
- Processing Applications
- Admitting Students
- Closing Admissions
- Provide for Reporting and Analysis
The module maintains records of all students Bio-data. It also incorporates Student’s academic history, extra-curriculum activities, hostel details and meal information.
- Maintain a record of students bio-data including names, gender, date of birth, permanent residency, awards/honors, special requirements and family/guardian details
- Maintain a record of the students academic history, including secondary education and other certifications achieved
- Once a record has been created, the activities that take place subsequently for the student including award of any advanced standing (credit transfer), financial assistance, course and program information, intended program of award, progress on the course and program, course result grade, top student award on a course basis, award granted, misconduct, disciplinary action, etc. will become part of the student record.
- Generate analysis on reports enrolment, graduation or demographic statistics
- Advanced search capabilities include search by: Student ID, Campus ID, Student ID, Career, Term, Last Name, First Name, etc. Search also includes a variety of usages to expand Search capability including operands such as ‘begins with’, ‘ = ‘, ‘contains’, ‘not =’, plus others
The purpose of the registration process is to determine which students will be taking courses within the University, and for the administration to keep its records up-to-date. From the student’s point of view, registration enables them to acquire the necessary authorized membership of the University. It is usually the case that students will register for particular courses, or modules, at the same time, and the information collected is used by members of the teaching staff to construct class lists, etc.
The registration module allows for online registration at the University as an online process that follows the following general workflow;
- Check (and amend if necessary) the personal details of the student
- Student to confirm program of study
- Join Sport and Physical Activity and pay the membership fee (if required)
- Pay your tuition fees and any previous debts (various options are available)
- Confirm your agreement to abide by the rules, regulations, procedures and codes governing your studies
- Print your registration clearance form
The Student Finance module is used to manage all the financial transactions and accounting processes that determine student charges and credits for a specific study period in the University
Acting as the base for all students finance related matters, the Campus Finance system integrates with all other facets of the university processes including;
- Calculate Institution/University fees (billing) based on different components like Tuition of Courses taken, Hostel, Transport, etc.
- Processing deposits and refunds
- Maintain student account summary and loan Information semester wise
- Payment Methods for student scholarship/reimbursement Fees
- Flexible payments plans can be defined as per the requirements of the Institution
- Aging reports of the outstanding semester fees
- Interfaces to University General Ledger
Provides a flexible calendaring facility, enabling institution definition of all significant periods of time including. This include:
- Academic periods
- Enrollment periods
- Teaching periods
- Fee assessment periods
- Examination periods
- Academic progression periods
- Graduation periods
Provides a web-based facility for enquiries on the published class timetable.
The Examination Management module is used to manage and monitor a student’s progress through the student’s academic program and maintains a record of the student’s academic work at the institution or granted through advanced standing
- Allows for definition of the permissible range of course score, overall examination score, overall continuous assessment score governing the determination of course result grade for each academic period
- Enables creation, maintenance, amendment and transfer of assessment parameters, scores and records for students on each program/course in the system from the existing or from the previous presentation according to the criteria set by the user
- Allows to enquire/check the assignments scores by users/students via Learner Self Service
- Allows for application of Progression Rules and Outcomes
- Allows for application of Program Completion Rules
- Allows for publication of results to students self-service portals and other medias
This module offers a secure web portal that enable Students and Parents have access to relevant information online and conveniently submit requests and applications.
- View and update personal information such as addresses, contact numbers, email addresses, emergency contacts, extracurricular activities, work experiences, honors and awards
- View and make application such new semester registration, add new courses, drop courses etc.
- View Semester and Course wise Information Summary
- View Attendance details
- View Consolidated and Detailed Marks list (Transcripts)
- View and apply for Hostel and Transport
- View outstanding payment amount details and payment history
- View Attendance report
- View Performance Details
- Make remarks
Student Alumni Portal provides highly secure, easy-to-use online access to the graduants of the university.
- Old student registration
- Login security to access the alumni information.
- Private email system for locating former students.
- Online tools to submit news, photos, leads and suggestions.
- Event look-up and online registration.
- Mailing facility for registered users.
- Registered user’s search
Integrating to additional systems extends Baraza UMIS functions providing a seamless comprehensive campus information system.
- Openbravo Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
- Baraza Human Capital Management (HCM) System
- KOHA Library Management System
- Payment Gateways such as VISA, MasterCard, MPESA
- Baraza SMS Messaging server for SMS